Wellness Wednesday: Seasonal Eating Volume 3
For our third installment of seasonal eating, we move from veggies to fruit- beginning with stone fruit. “Stone fruit” is the name commonly given to fruits that have a large fleshy fruit surrounding a single pit. Stone fruit includes fruit like peaches, plums, apricots and cherries.
Members of this family are full of fiber, vitamin C and A. They are also pretty darn delicious with very little added to them. For this week’s recipe, we are maximizing on the flavor of the ripe fruit and creating an easy frozen dessert. Check it out!
Cherry Banana Ice Cream
1. 4 bananas, sliced and frozen
2. 1 cup frozen dark cherries
3. 2 tsp vanilla
4. 2 Tbsp coconut or almond milk
1. ¼ cup coconut oil
2. ¼ cup cacao powder
3. 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Take the bananas and slice in to 2-3 inch rounds and place in a bag and freeze until solid.
2. Once they are frozen, place them in a food processor and pulse until they are in small pieces. Add the cherry, vanilla and milk and pulse until the mixture is a smooth soft serve texture. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. You can eat is as a soft serve ice cream or place in an airtight container and freeze until solid
4. Heat a small saucepan to medium heat and combine the coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup.
5. Heat the mixture and stir occasionally until it is all combined and then take off the heat and let cool to room temperature.
6. Drizzle on the Cherry Banana Ice Cream before serving.
7. Chocolate shell can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.